The National Course in Conscious Sedation for Dentistry is both suitable as an introduction to postgraduate education in sedation and also as a refresher for practitioners wishing to remain up to date with current techniques and contemporary teaching. The programme offered changes frequently to meet the needs of practitioners both within practice, the Community Dental Service and secondary care. Practitioners are encouraged to enrol their dental nurse on the parallel programme as conscious sedation provision is essentially a team activity. SAAD’s teaching is provided by a faculty of the best known names in dental sedation within the UK. Our course provides a sound foundation in basic conscious sedation techniques. It also investigates the challenges of less commonly used techniques in the UK and those used in other countries. SAAD is well known for providing entertainment as well as sound education. This course provides an investment for patients and enjoyable continuing professional dental education for practitioners and dental nurses. The SAAD National Course provides theoretical and practical instruction in all aspects relating to the current use of Conscious Sedation techniques. The course is designed for practitioners who wish to commence the administration of sedation techniques and also as an update for those who wish to keep abreast of current professional standards. The teaching provides a core level of knowledge based on the current Dental Sedation Teachers Group guidelines which is appropriate to postgraduate education. Mainstream techniques (intravenous midazolam and Relative Analgesia) are covered in detail. Alternative and more advanced conscious sedation techniques are also discussed. Practitioners are encouraged to further their core knowledge with assisted / mentored practical training. Advanced techniques must only be considered where practitioners have considerable experience and appropriate clinical supervision.
- Aspects of anxiety and pain control, treatment planning and patient assessment. The use of behavioural management, selection and appropriate use of drugs for sedation techniques.
- Physiology, anatomy and pharmacology relevant to Conscious Sedation.
- Organisation of the dental team, medico-legal aspects of sedation, record keeping, psychological and physiological monitoring of the sedated patient.
- Revision of the requirements of the General Dental Council in relation to the provision of Basic Life Support. Current UK Resuscitation Council Guidelines will be provided.
- Clinical cases of various conscious sedation techniques are assessed and practitioners may have practical experience of Relative Analgesia.
Practitioners completing the SAAD Course are strongly advised to gain further practical and clinical exyou're perience, under the guidance of a practitioner experienced in the use of Conscious Sedation techniques. Sample programme
The SAAD National course provides the underpinning knowledge and an introduction to the clinical skills required for providing safe conscious sedation but it is also necessary to undergo supervised clinical experience before embarking on independent practice.
The IACSD ‘Standards for Conscious Sedation in the Provision of Dental Care’ (April 2015) state that practitioners offering supervised clinical experience for ‘new starter’ sedationists must be accredited by a university, deanery or IACSD (p34, 86).
SAAD has recently introduced schemes to facilitate to acquisition of 'supervised clinical experience' for both dentists an dental nurses. For further information please see SAAD Assessed Sedationist scheme or SAAD Assessed Sedation Nurse scheme.
To reserve a place on the SAAD National Course
The course fee is £700. SAAD members pay a discounted rate of £670.
Please ensure that you are logged onto the website as a member to pay the discounted rate.
For courses later than the 'next available' please go to 'view all courses' or select the date from the list below.
- 3rd & 4th March 2018 - fully booked
- 16th & 17th June 2018 - fully booked
- 3rd & 4th November 2018 - only a few spaces available